Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Our Earth Day - Solidarity and Tech Free Week

It is Earth Day, and while we probably should have planned to plant a tree or a garden or something, my family has decided to focus on other areas of our lives that are out of whack.

First, we have decided to join with our sisters and brothers at Willow Creek Church and take the Five-Day Solidarity Challenge. This means that for 5 days this week we are eating either oatmeal or rice and beans for our meals. The purpose of this challenge is "to stand alongside our brothers and sisters living in poverty across the world, [and eat] what they eat,” said Willow Creek’s Compassion and Justice Director Heather Larson.

Believe it or not, my kids are actually the ones that are pushing us to do this challenge. It is a great thing, and something I am anxious to do to. I have become increasingly aware over the past few weeks that I spend entirely too much time thinking and planning what I am going to eat. If I took just half that and made it more productive I would gain hours of time. Perhaps I could even be more organized.

Would you like to do your part in getting more rice into the hands of needy people? Go on over to freerice.com and play a vocabulary game while you donate bowls of rice to those who need it. Find yourself with some extra cash? Why not be a sponsor? It doesnt' take much to help feed those who are less fortunate.

In addition to our menu challenge for the week, my husband further challeneged our family to give up technology for the week as well. We are trying to live like the other half of the world does, and already it is hard. Of course, since I can't give up technology at work (a network admin can't easily do that), I am takign this lunch break to blog our progress. Tonight I am hoping to spend some time chatting with the kids, then suggesting a game of tennis or cards and then a long soak in the tub! I may just get used to this yet.

No comments: