Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Book Review - The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

I think I read this book one paragraph at a time, not because it was boring or bad, I just have so little time right now for reading. Evan read this way, this book is worth it.

My son had this book assigned in his high school English class, and I am not sure that forcing kids to read this is a great idea. This book is written for women, as it is a beautiful picture of the grace and goodness of sisterhood. The characters here are warm and full of life. They are the kind of well developed entities that make you long to be able to pull up a chair and chat with them a while.

I loved August, and June and May from the very start. It took me a while to warm to Rosalee, as she was less refined and harder to like, but like her I did. And Lily is like so many teenagers I have met.

I appreciate so much the different portrayal here of race relations in the South in the 60s. I don't think I have read a book set in this time period before that makes the entire book about race relations, and yet makes it not at all about skin color. The deeper truths here of love, life and our intense desire for family becomes a way to level the playing field.

I don't read books twice, however, I will be taking this book along on my next vacation to really read this again and highlight favorite parts. I can't recommend this enough, especially to women and girls.

No comments: