Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Book Review - The Hamptons Diet

I read this diet book in just two sittings, which is a new record for me. For while I can devour fiction books, especially mysteries, it usually takes me months to finish most non-fiction literature. I really wanted to get to the recipes in the back of this book, but found much of the medical information very informative.

I am not new to the whole low-carb diet craze. About 5 years ago I lost 45 pounds and have kept most of it off by doing the Atkins Diet Plan. The thing about the Atkins plan though that has always bothered me was the huge emphasis on fatty meat and dairy. I also found that many of the meal replacements were my only option for times when I was away from home and these foods are loaded with additives and preservatives and all things man made.

I am finding that as I get older, I desire a more natural diet. I will no longer tolerate fake sugar of any kind, high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated oils. I think I liked this book so much because it agreed with me on the status of these foods and explained why they are so bad for us. I like trying to find new ways to add vegetables into my diet and this book has some nice recipes to help do that.

There is no magic pill, diet or surgery. The key to weight loss over the long haul really does seem to be a balanced approach; cut down on caloric intake and increase the excercise. This book is no miracle cure, but if you are on the road to a healthier you, it is worth a peek if only for the recipes.

No comments: