Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween

I know I have been a bit wishy-washy over the years on the issue of whether or not we celebrate Halloween or not. I grew up with it. I also grew up with Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny. They did not dampen my spiritual life at all, or make me not believe in miracles. Quite the opposite rather, these legends of magic and mystery made me appreciate all the more the truth of the Gospel. They made me long to believe in something bigger than myself that was real. And I think they helped me to understand our human desire to believe in what we can't see.

So it is in this spirit of exploration, and fun, and innocence that I am encouraging my children to participate in Halloween. Not worshiping the Devil or any such silliness, but trick or treating, and dressing up like Snow White or the Dwarfs or a cowboy riding a donkey! You are a kid only once, enjoy it!

No comments: