Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Book Review - Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Wow. . .great book for sci-fi fans! My first taste of the wonders of science-fiction came when I saw Star Wars as a kid. I went to see it when it first came out camped in the back of my parents van at the drive-in. Since those days, I have enjoyed the occasional sci-fi book, television show or movie but don't usually seek them out. I plan to read this entire series.

I actually had this book setting around on a shelf for just as bit, as it came when I was in the middle of about 3 other books. Since I was already reading other books, I recommended this to DS who needed something to read in his 4 hour detention, and he read it all in a day. Not only did he read it in a day, but he immediately asked for the next book in the series.

I would bet that if you enjoyed the Matrix, Star Wars, or either Battlestar Galactica series, you will enjoy this very easy to read book. Ender is one of the youngest heros I have read, but he is interesting and very engaging. I found myself sucked in and invested in the characters and the games they played.

Although it can be read on a very surface level, this is also a very smart book. I found myself really amazed at the depth of deception of the adults in this book and started thinking about all the ways the tactics described in the book may be used on people. And for a sci-fi book, I was amazed at the depth of feeling I experienced while reading. My emotions went from deep sadness over Ender having to leave his family to intense outrage over the war situation.

This is one award winning book (1986 Hugo Award and the 1985 Nebula Award) that I highly recommend to readers young and old.

No comments: