Friday, March 14, 2008

Cafe Thursday - Cooking a Whole Chicken

I sometimes forget how easy it is to cook a chicken that is delicious for my family.

I bought a very nice, all natural, non-antibiotic whole chicken at the grocery store last week and we enjoyed that chicken for dinner last night. I had planned to roast it, as I found a couple of really nice recipes on blogs that I read regularly, one at Cheap Healthy Good and one at All Recipes.com. However, I knew that my Wednesday evening was going to be pretty hectic, so I decided to give the old crock pot a try. Am I ever glad I did.

I took my 5 lb whole chicken, threw on some salt, pepper, seasoning salt, onion salt, garlic powder and a carton of chicken stock all in the crock pot, covered it, and set it on low for about 8 hours. The smell in the kitchen when I got home from work was almost better than the chicken itself. I simply washed and cut up a few potatoes and set them to boil while I nuked a can of corn and we had a darn quick meal that was not too shabby.

I am on a mission today to find some more cheap and easy crock pot gems that will make my life easier. If you have any great links or blogs or posts, send them my way.

No comments: