Thursday, November 8, 2007

Cafe Thursday

Until further notice, Thursdays will be the days that I celebrate my inner chef. Now, I am no Julia Childs, Paula Dean or even a Rachel Ray, but I can occasionally put together a decent meal for the family. I have lots of favorite ways to come up with recipes for dinner, and I will share those here as well as some sites and tips.

Today, I would like to put down in writing for some friends and family a recipe that everyone except my husband seems to enjoy. I found this recipe in a Pillsbury circular at the grocery store and modified it a bit.

Homestyle Chicken Pot Pie

1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 1/2 cups of cubed chicken
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
pinch of chipotle seasoning
1 package of frozen or canned mixed veggies
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 packet of Onion soup mix
Cooking spray
2 pie crusts (Pillsbury is my personal favorite)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Heat Olive Oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken, salt, pepper and seasoning. Drain veggies (steam frozen veggies under HOT water if using them) and put in a seperate bowl. Add cream of chicken soup, 1/2 can of water, and onion soup mix to veggies. Once chicken is browned, lower heat and add veggie mixture until warmed through.

Lightly coat a pie tin with cooking spray and spread one pie crust. Add meat and veggie mixture. Place second pie crust on top of the mixture and tuck in around the sides. Be sure to add at least a couple of slits to the top of the pie, but decorate as you see fit. I often will add someone's initials or a heart.

Put pie plate on a cookie sheet and bake for 35 minutes. Remove pie from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. . .serve and enjoy!

No comments: