Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Parenting Is Hard

I think I have always known that parenting is hard, but it is the teenage years that are killing me.

I have a boy and a girl, and they have very different issues, but both hurt my heart today.

My daughter has just lost her first love. She is such a great person, smart, fun, cute, and lovable, but this boy has left her doubting her self worth and that makes me sad. I hate that we women often let the men in our lives have that power over us. As if we need their acceptance or that their opinions are the only ones that matter. I am trying to teach her to be independant and to think for herself and to march to the beat of her own drum. . .but she is a teenage girl. She likes boys. I will have to think up some interesting ways to pump up her ego a bit. Any ideas?

My son is a whole other person. I don't understand him. He is very smart, and is a generally good athlete, but he can't ever remember to bring his homework home, and therefore never does it and fails his classes. On top of that, he is late for classes and is now serving his thrird detention of the school year. . .as a freshman!! I don't know what to do. We have punished him, taken away his gadgets, no activities with friends, nothing to do at home but sleep and eat and it doesn't do any good. I am at a loss, and at this point, I am tired of crying myself to sleep.

My husband thinks this is typical parenting stress for those with teenagers. I would love to hear from anyone with teenagers. . .advice. . .or even just an "amen" we have that problem too would be very much appreciated.

How do you make it through the teenage years?

No comments: