Thursday, January 17, 2008

Beginning Runner

I stared running daily recently, and thought I would share some helpful links and tips for starting a running routine.

1. Start small and slow. I am running at a slow speed for 20 minutes at least 5 days a week right now. I don't expect to loose weight or be able to run a marathon anytime soon, but I am doing something good for myself that will payoff eventually. Right now, I can run/jog for 20 minutes so that is what I am doing. I did find another plan that I would use if I wasn't already well on my way with my own workout at the Cool Running website.

2. Warm-up! I didn't do any warm-ups (I know, I know, very bad) the first two days I was running, and my back quickly reminded me that I am not in my 20s anymore. I was able to find a routine that does work on my sore areas.

3. I check the Runners World website regularly for inspiration. I would someday like to run a race or something, but for now, I will just read about others who do and enjoy their stories and use them to inspire me to keep it up. It is also a great place for finding running gear and the latest gadgets.

4. I read my Women's Health Magazine religiously. This is a great magazine, really. It has great articles, recipes and tips. There is a new workout each month that you can do right at home, and there are also great articles on ways to be more healthy. Check out their website to get a pretty good feel for the types of articles and tips they have.

No comments: